Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Always, Sometimes, Never True?


This is an old worksheet that I made last year as an intro to points, lines, and planes. I read on Math Teacher Mambo about an awesome True / False exercise that is similar in format and based on the same topic, so I thought I'd post this as a somewhat longer activity variation. If I remember correctly, last year it had generated some good discussion among the kids (I had let them work in groups), even though the activity was fairly time-consuming and (ultimately) a bit dry for those highly ADHD kids.

Anyway, this year I decided to skip this activity, only because it ended up dragging out the points-lines-planes topic into 1.5 or 2 days in my class, which I thought was too much for that simple of a topic. I still like the exploratory nature of the Always, Sometimes, Never True questions. At some point, it'd be nice to incorporate this type of activity into other topics that I teach...

---------------

By the way, I more or less finished the Geoboard area activity with my honors kids, and they said that they loved it! :) :) (Most kids needed a little bit of help coming up with the quadrilaterals of decimal areas. That was really cool; I think it really helped to solidify their understanding of rectangular and triangular areas.) I also did the pentagon origami with my regular kids. --This week is so much fun!! My regular kids really didn't like the pentagon activity (they were frustrated even with my helping them out and their helping each other out), but they were pretty excited when I told them that we're going to learn to make hexagons next, in order to build a regular tetrahedron that requires no glue! (I showed them the one I had made earlier as a trial run, and they thought it was the COOLEST.)

No comments:

Post a Comment